Do you love appetizers as much as I do? An entire week devoted to appetizers is right up my alley. I love nibbling on a few (or a lot) of everything and given the choice I will always pick appetizers over dinner. I have really enjoyed preparing this week, because we have been having appetizers for dinner for a few days straight.
One of my favorite appetizers is always stuffed mushrooms. I don’t care what they are stuffed with just gimme, gimme, gimme! This version with blue cheese and bacon is heavenly. The filling is creamy, but tangy. And it has little bits of bacon, who doesn’t like little bits of bacon? I like to stuff mine extra full, but if you don’t load up the topping quite as much as I do, you may need to buy two packages of mushroom.
- 3 strips bacon
- 1 package baby bella whole mushrooms (look for larger ones)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2/3 cup blue cheese
- 1 oz cream cheese
- 1/3 cup panko bread crumbs
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crispy. Remove to paper towels to drain.
- Lightly clean mushrooms by brushing with damp cloth. Remove stems, set caps aside in a prepared baking dish, and chop stems.
- Add butter to skillet with bacon grease, once melted, add mushroom stems, onion, and garlic. Stir often and allow to cook 15-20 minutes until onions are golden brown.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place breadcrumbs, cream cheese, blue cheese, bacon, and onion mixture into food processor or blender. Blend ingredients to give them a rough chop and combine.
- Using a spoon fill the mushroom caps and return to the baking dish.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the filling is browned and bubbly.