Three Bean Vegetarian Chili
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 large bell pepper (I used half red & half green) seeded and diced
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups water
- 1 (28oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 (15oz) can black beans
- 1 (15oz) can garbanzo beans
- 1 (15oz) can white kidney beans
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- Salt to taste
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Cheese and plain Greek yogurt, for garnish
- In a large soup pot heat the oil over medium high, add onion and cook until translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add pepper and cook and additional 3 minutes until it beings to brown. Add garlic and cook 1 minutes. Reduce heat to medium
- Add cumin, chili powder, and cayenne and stir to coat the veggies. Let cook 1 minute.
- Add 2 cups of water, stir well to combine. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer, let simmer until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, oregano and brown sugar, return to a simmer. Simmer, uncovered, for 25 minutes.
- Add beans and corn, gently incorporate. Turn burner to low and allow to rest covered 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in salt to taste, cilantro, and lime juice.
Recipe by Supper for a Steal at http://supperforasteal.com/three-bean-vegetarian-chili/