Before cooking this pizza I had never tried a fig that didn’t come as the filling of a cookie. Since fig season seems to be pretty short. I figured I may as well give it a go. Combining inspiration from a few different sources a fig and goat cheese pizza seemed right up my alley.
Up until I took my first bite of pizza I had still never tried a fig. Aren’t you supposed to test a new ingredient before you cook with it? Well not I , I just jumped right in with this one. And I’m glad I didn’t have a raw fig until after. I learned that I’m not really a fan of raw figs. Cooked on a pizza that is loaded with goat cheese they are just about the most delectable things I have ever tried.
The flavor combination of this pizza is so unbelievable good. Sweet caramel onions and tangy goat cheese with just a light touch of olive oil on the crust.
I don’t even have words to describe how good this pizza is. And the crust, oh how I love Publix pizza crust. Someday I may take the time to make my own, but until then I will faithfully buy the deli pizza crust.
Go gather your ingredients and make my new favorite pizza now. Figs can be found at Publix or your local produce stand may sell them in smaller quantities. If you don’t have time to caramelize the onions you may substitute a quick sauteed onion, but if you have the hour go for the caramelized.
- 1 prepared pizza dough
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus 1 tsp
- 1 sweet onion, sliced
- Pinch of salt, pepper, and sugar
- 6 fresh figs, halved
- 4 oz goat cheese
- ½ – ¾ cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- Heat 1 tsp of oil in a sauté pan over medium heat, add onions, salt, pepper, and sugar and cook, stir to combine. Cook onions slowly for about an hour stirring every 10 minutes or so, after initial 10 minutes reduce heat to medium-low.
- Once onions have reduced to about a third and are a nice caramel color, set aside.
- Preheat pizza stone in oven at 450 degrees.
- Stretch pizza dough and prepare pizza on a well floured (or cornmeal) surface. Spread 1 tbsp of olive oil on crust, cover with a thin layer of mozzarella cheese, crumble goat cheese over pizza, top with onions, and sliced figs-cut side up.
- Bake 15 minutes until crust is golden brown.
- Top with fresh rosemary right out of the oven.