This weekend while at the local farmer’s market I spotted the biggest portobello mushrooms I have ever seen. I wish I would have gotten a picture they were bigger than my head. They reminded me of this “burger” that I had made months ago and filed away for safe keeping.
I know most people either love mushrooms or hate them. I happen to fall into the love them category, with portobellos being at the top of my list of loves. I love the meatiness of them. You can use them on a sandwich in place of meat and still feel full. Stuffed portobellos take the place of a steak at dinner. This was my first time trying a portobello in place of a burger and I say give me more! These can be done either on the grill, or if it’s still a little chilly outside on an inside grill pan.
- 4 buns
- 4 portobello mushrooms
- Olive oil
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- Sundried tomato pesto (or regular pesto if you prefer)
- 4 slices white onion
- Handful of spinach
- Heat your grill to medium heat. Clean your mushrooms with a damp paper towel and remove the gills (the black part on the bottom) with a spoon. Also remove the stem.
- Brush mushrooms and onion lightly with olive oil and grill 3-5 minutes each side.
- Grill or toast buns.
- Top mushrooms with slice of provolone cheese.
- Spread about 2 tsp of pesto on each bun. Add grilled onion, spinach and assemble sandwich.