This week each member of the #SundaySupper team is tackling something on their bucket list. Do you have a culinary bucket list? Recipes you have been dying to make but aren’t quite sure you’re ready? Hopefully this #SundaySupper will give you the confidence to give it a shot, because even if it doesn’t turn out quite right, can make for a good story.
I have always wanted to try my hand at homemade flour tortillas. I constantly see other bloggers saying once you’ve made them yourself you will never go back.
I don’t know if this is the case for me considering it took about 3 (mostly passive) hours to make 8 tortillas.
It was great to say I tried. They did taste quite delicious. The ones I cooked correctly were soft and chewy, but I am clearly lazy and will stick to buying them when they are on sale.
You must roll them out very thin and cook them just enough that they are still pliable. There is a fine line between pliable and crispy with these. A few of the crispies were eaten for research while cooking.
Oh don’t mind me, off to make a bacon and pepperjack cheese quesadilla on my homemade tortillas.
- 1 ¼ cups all purpose flour
- 1 ¼ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup vegetable shortening (although lard is suggested)
- 1 tablespoon (additional) shortening (or lard)
- ½ cup hot water
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a large wooden bowl. Stir together to combine.
- Add the shortening in spoonfuls using all of it the ¼ cup and 1 tablespoon. Using a pastry blender combine the ingredients until coarse crumbs form.
- Slowly pour in hot water, mixing to combine. Knead 3-5 minutes until dough is less sticky.
- Cover with a kitchen towel and let rest at least one hour. I did all of these above steps in the same wooden bowl.
- Roll into small, ping pong size balls, place on a tray and cover with kitchen towel. Allow to rest an additional 20-30 minutes.
- Heat a cast iron or dark skillet over medium to medium high heat. Roll out each ball individually. Make sure to roll them very thin and rub your rolling pin with flour to prevent sticking. Cook tortilla in skillet 20-30 seconds per side, remove when they have slightly browned, but are still pliable.
Adapted from The Pioneer Woman
Sunday Supper Specialty Breads:
- Homemade Bagels with Mimosa Spread by Daily Dish Recipes
- Homemade Tortillas by Supper for a Steal
- Brioche by Gotta Get Baked
- Alton Brown’s Soft Pretzels by Hezzi-D’s Book and Cooks
- Braided Challah by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Cinnamon Sugar Pretzel Bites by In the Kitchen with Audrey and Maurene
- Belgian Waffles by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Gluten-free Bread by Happy Baking Days
- Monkey Bread by Vintage Kitchen Notes
Sunday Supper Main Dishes:
- Lightened Up Slow Cooker Butter Chicken by The Meltaways
- Gluten Free Ravioli by No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Bagna Cauda and Potatoes by Shockingly Delicious
- Beef Wellington by Family Foodie
- Green Chili and Lentil Tamales by Mangoes and Chutney
- Mushroom Ragout over Creamy Polenta by Noshing with the Nolands
- Butternut Squash Gnocchi by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Ropa Vieja by Magnolia Days
- Tah-Dig (Persian Rice) by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Fresh Ravioli with Ricotta by Comfy Cuisine
- Stuffed Artichokes by The Roxx Box
- Braised Short Ribs by The Messy Baker blog
- Julia Child’s Boeuf Bourguignon by Hip Foodie Mom
- French Onion Soup by The Weekend Gourmet
- Leaping Frog Chicken by The Urban Mrs.
- Fried Polenta with Spicy Tomato Relish by Mama Mommy Mom
- Savory Spinach-Filled Crepe Cake with Cheddar Sauce by Webicurean
- Japanese-Style Prosperity Pockets & Goat Cheese En Croute by Ninja Baking
- San Antonio Puffy Tacos by Sustainable Dad
- Chinese Dumplings by My Cute Bride
- Falafel by Small Wallet Big Appetite
Sunday Supper Desserts and Snacks:
- Creamy Lemon Fudge by Chocolate Moosey
- Zebra Cake by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Faux Ice Cream with Bananas by Country Girl in the Village
- Divinity by Juanita’s Cocina
- Homemade Seafoam Candy by girlichef
- French Macarons by I Run for Wine
- Mocha Macadamia Trifle with Mascarpone Cream by The Foodie Army Wife
- Nut and Seed Nougat by What Smells So Good
- Pumpkin Mocha Cupcakes with Whipped Cream Frosting and Dulce de Leche Drizzle by Damn Delicious
- Chocolate Meringue Cake (gluten free) by Dinners, Dishes and Desserts
- Gluten-Free Golden Fudge Cake by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Orange Rum Tiramisu Cake by Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Peanut Sesame Honey Brittle by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Granola Bars with Dried Fruit by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Jamaican Blue Drawers by Lovely Pantry
- Mini Classic Key Lime Pies by In the Kitchen with KP
- Donuts: Redux by Kelly Bakes
- Hot Lemon Curd Soufflés by Food Lust People Love
- Popcorn with truffle oil and asiago cheese by Ruffles & Truffles
Are you ready to tackle your culinary bucket list? I’m one down and lots to go. Perhaps my next one will be a recipe in today’s event. They all look so good. Choices, choices…
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET and you do not want to miss out on the fun. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.