This recipe was given to me recently by a friend. I usually have our menu’s planned out so far in advance that I rarely get the chance to make new found recipes for a few months, but because this one had Greek flavors with orzo I had to squeeze it in. I love all things lemon and orzo so I knew this would be a hit. The fact that it only dirties one pan is just a plus!
I chose to omit the green beans and serve it was a side salad. But we have been seeing green beans on sale recently at Publix. If you want to give it a shot with the green beans you will end up with a completely balanced one dish meal.
Lemon Chicken and Orzo
- 2 large chicken breasts, diced into 1 inch cubes
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 1 14.5oz can chicken broth, or about 2 cups
- Juice from 1 ½ lemon (save remaining half for couscous)
- 2 tsp honey
- 2 ½ tbsp sour cream
- ¾ cup orzo
- 8oz green beans, optional
1. In a large pot add chicken broth and lemon juice, bring to a boil and add diced chicken. Cover and reduce heat to medium. Cook for 9 minutes
2. Remove chicken with slotted spoon and set aside.
3. Boil broth for 2-3 minutes. Add salt, pepper, oregano, honey, and sour cream. Whisk to combine and cook an additional 2-3 minutes.
4. Add 1 ½ cups water and return to a boil. Stir in orzo and boil for 10 minutes.
5. If adding green beans, add to pot in last 5 minutes of cooking orzo.
6. Return chicken to pot and simmer 10 minutes, until thickened.