During Meatless March and our journey to use less meat I have yet to turn to those faux meat products. I have used regular old tofu a few times, but the soy crumbles that are meant to taste like turkey or chicken just kind of weird me out. Instead I have been seeking out filling and hearty vegetable heavy dishes, such as this ratatouille.
Dump all the ingredients into the crockpot and let it do it’s magic. This ratatouille is packed full of my favorite healthy vegetables. I found this recipe on Better Homes and Gardens website and they suggest serving it with parmesan toast. The parmesan toast I’m sure would be a delicious addition, but frankly I was just too lazy to make it and instead sliced up a multigrain baguette.
Leave off the cheese and make this an easy vegan meal.
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium yellow or zucchini squash, cubed
- 1 large tomato, seeded and cubed
- ½ green bell pepper, chopped
- ¼ large white onion, chopped
- 4 oz tomato sauce
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- Parmesan cheese, for serving
- In the crockpot combine all ingredients except basil and parmesan cheese. Cover and cook on low for 4.5 to 5 hours.
- Before serving stir in basil and top each bowl with parmesan cheese.