Baked Potato Soup is one of my absolute favorites! But, you know, with the holidays I try to save a few calories where ever I can.
Subbing out the potatoes in soup for cauliflower. That was my genius friend Noelle’s idea. She casually mentioned it one day while we were chatting. Um, why did I never think of that. I have made mashed cauliflower, cauliflower au gratin and I love just roasted cauliflower.
Well I finally tried making cauliflower soup and it was just like baked potato. I don’t think I would have even known the difference had I not made it myself.
So you should probably go now and whip up a pot of this soup. Especially if you live in Florida, go now, while it’s still cold outside.
Loaded Cauliflower Soup
- 6 slices bacon chopped
- ½ small onion chopped
- 1 celery stalk chopped
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- salt and pepper
- ½ head cauliflower grated
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- hot sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- Saute bacon in a large stock pot over medium heat until crispy. Using a slotted spoon remove bacon and drain on a paper towel lined plate. Drain off all but 1 tablespoon of bacon fat, add onion, celery and garlic. Saute 3-4 minutes.
- Add cauliflower to the pot and water. Cover with lid and steam 5-7 minutes. Add 1¾ cup chicken stock and milk, turn up heat and bring to a boil.
- Whisk flour with remaining ¼ cup chicken stock. Add to pot while stirring. Then simmer for 5 minutes to thicken.
- Remove from heat and stir in 1½ cups cheddar cheese, half of the bacon, and 2-3 dashes of hot sauce. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with remaining shredded cheese and bacon.