Berry season is mostly over here in Florida, but that’s not going to keep me from celebrating some of my favorite fruits. Mmm strawberries, raspberries…
Back in March we went to a local winery for their Blueberry Festival. We intended to go blueberry picking while we were there, but then the wine started flowing, and well, the blueberries weren’t really a priority anymore. We did grab a few pints on the way out and since I don’t really like blueberries on their own I knew baking muffins would be the perfect use for them.
Even though I don’t really love blueberries, blueberry muffins are one of my favorite treats! These were perfect to enjoy for breakfast in the morning or an afternoon snack.
I love making a crumb topping for my muffins. It makes me think I’m at a bakery, sipping a cup of coffee and enjoying a specialty muffin.
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- ⅓-1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ⅛ cup flour
- ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter, cube
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line the pan with muffin liners.
- Combine 1½ cups flour, ¾ cup sugar, salt and baking powder. Measure vegetable oil in a 1 cup measuring cup, add egg, fill with milk up to the 1 cup line. Combine wet ingredients with flour mixture, careful not to overmix. Fold in blueberries.
- To make crumb topping mix together the all the ingredients with a fork to form crumbs.
- Fill each muffin cup and sprinkle with topping.
- Bake 18-20 minutes.